Features writer, researcher, photographer, video-maker, online content producer, trainer
What can I help with?
Video specialist with 40 years of experience. Including squeezing out the best results from consumer equipment when necessary. A former Features Editor of Video Camera magazine (London). I was a cameraman and video editor for the fire service too.
- Video editing: from a simple tidy up to something more sophisticated. I'm particularly interested in online video. I use the software Vegas Pro
- Titles and graphics (static or animated). Subtitles
- Photo sequences (slide shows)
- Levels and colour balance
- Selective blurring (to hide people or brand names) including on moving subjects
- Slow-motion or speed up
- Conversion of real-time footage to timelapse
- Import of archive material such as DVD and some tape formats and the conversion of digital video
- Audio track building and mixing (effects, narration and music)
- Audio/music replacement
- Encode and create a DVD, to formats for YouTube or those needed for an HTML5 player on a website
- Editing, mixing, encoding and conversion
- Transfer from audio cassette
- Animated GIFS - including from photos or a video. Text can be added
- "Poster" images and eyecatching thumbnails for YouTube or a website
WRITING & JOURNALISM
My first paid published article in a national magazine appeared in 1987. Many hundreds have been published since.
- Written features or blog posts with photographs and/or video clips
- Research and interviews (including on video or audio)
- Press releases
- Scanning/rephotographing of slides, negatives and prints
- Cropping, levels and colour correction, spotting/retouching, combining of images, addition of text or branding, preparation for the web, restoration
A scan from a black and white negative and full clean up to remove dust and scratches. "Like cleaning a dirty window" as one customer described it. Click to enlarge.
PHOTO & VIDEO ARCHIVE
More than 1,000 of my photographs have been published for payment in national magazines. Including cover and full page use.
WEBSITES & SOCIAL MEDIA
I've run websites since 1997.
- Content updates for a website or social media space
- Routine website maintenance and admin
- I have several servers which I administer. I can provide webhosting for small sites, advise and maintain them for you. Many businesses need little more than a page with contact details and an occasional update but pay much more than they need to.
- The website you're looking at was coded from scratch. It's an example of a simple, fast-loading, static site which reformats so the content displays well on a PC, tablet or phone
- VHS transfer. To DVD or various file formats. I can provide files on DVD or BD-R (25Gb Bluray), data disc, SD card, or as downloadable files.
- Bulk document scanning
A transfer from a VHS tape that dated back to 1981. The equipment fixes picture instability and removes colour noise. Muffled audio, which is sometimes a problem on older tapes, can usually be tweaked. Incredible though it may seem, time is running out to get the once ubiquitous VHS transferred to digital, as tapes deteriorate and equipment becomes scarce.
PERSONAL TUITION FOR ADULTS
I'm a former Features Editor at IPC Magazines in London and former member of the NUJ.
- Copywriting, editing and basic layouts for books (including the ebook formats epub, mobi & PDF), newsletters and leaflets
- Printing and scanning
- Someone organised and professional who can give you a hand when needed. I've run my own business for more than 30 years
Get in touch if you have any questions or a proposal.
E-mail: you can send a message from the mail form here.
Page images from the 1980s and 1990s. A small selection of my published photographs and written features.
On location with a BBC make-up designer in 1989.
I talk with amateur videomakers who sell footage to television and the broadcasters who buy it in The Hard Sell [PDF] (May 1996).